[mpich-discuss] mpiexec ignoring host setting in configfile

Kenneth Raffenetti raffenet at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 22 12:57:49 CDT 2017

On 06/22/2017 11:16 AM, Alexander Rast wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Kenneth Raffenetti
> <raffenet at mcs.anl.gov <mailto:raffenet at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     -host(s) is a global option. You can only specify it once.
>

> ? This doesn't make sense to me. Example 8.13 from the MPI specification
> has:
>
> mpiexec myprog infile1 : myprog infile2 : myprog infile3, corresponding
> to Form A
>
> mpiexec {<above arguments>} : {...} : {...} : ... : { ...}
>
> which invokes potentially multiple programs with different arguments (of
> which host is one)
>
> and then mentions that Form B: mpiexec -configfile <filename> has lines
> of the form separated by the colons in Form A.
>
> So there's no reason, I would think, that a Form B file can't have
> multiple lines with different hosts specified for the same executable.

The reason is that Hydra does not support it. You are allowed one
-host(s) argument. If you want to submit a patch to allow more than one
instance, we will consider it.

>     Further, your configfile does not make much sense since your are
>     using the same program on both lines. You could rather just do:
>
>        mpiexec -n 4 -ppn 2 -hosts Shakespeare,Burns ./mpi_io_test
>

> I have not seen the -ppn switch listed anywhere. What does this do? Is
> this intended to be a 'limit number of processes to n on the hosts
> specified?

$ mpiexec -h | grep ppn
     -ppn                             processes per node

> Notwithstanding this isn't what is needed anyway, because what if I want
> specifically to run at most 2 processes on Shakespeare but 5 on Burns
> (imagine, for example, that Shakespeare is already loaded with other
> processes, so I need to limit it for the executable in concern)?

Irregular mappings like this can be done with a hostfile.

> In any case the point is, using the same program on both lines to me
> seems straightforward enough given that there are numerous instances (as
> ex. 8.13 above) where various switches and options might be different.
>
> I note also that -hosts is different from the -host switch listed as
> pre-defined for mpiexec.

Hydra supports both -host and -hosts. They mean the same thing.

> In my case we have a system where the objective is to direct specific
> instances of an application or possibly several to specific hosts - so
> that the mapping can be fixed. In the limit this might consist of -n 1
> -host <x> <executable> lines, each directing a specific instance of the
> executable to a specific host.

Again, this will not work with today's Hydra. I would suggest playing
around some more with the available options to see if another solution
might work for your use-case.

Ken