[mpich-discuss] MPICH-3.1.4 with PAMID: Win_lock

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 10:12:53 CDT 2017

I guess this is a bug but MPICH 3.1.x isn't the basis for the supported MPI
on BGQ, so I doubt you will get much traction by reporting it.  IBM made an
effort to support MPI-3 with PAMID but it was as an open-source, best
effort project, and I recall there were some issues with it, including
deadlock in certain asynchronous operations.

You should try the supported MPI-2.2 implementation on BGQ or try the
unsupported OFI-based implementation of MPI-3.

Disclaimer: The comments above are spoken in my capacity as the person who
used to support MPI at ALCF, not my current job role.

Best,

Jeff

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 3:21 AM, Sebastian Rinke <rinke at cs.tu-darmstadt.de>
wrote:

> Same window, i.e.:
>
> Process 0:
>>
>> Win_lock(MPI_LOCK_SHARED, target=A, window=win)
>>
> Win_lock(MPI_LOCK_SHARED, target=B, window=win)
>

> Sebastian
>

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 06:24, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Same window or different windows?
>
> Jeff
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:59 PM Sebastian Rinke <rinke at cs.tu-darmstadt.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have some issue with MPI_Win_lock in MPICH-3.1.4 on Blue Gene/Q.
>>
>> Here is my example:
>>
>> Process 0:
>>
>> Win_lock(MPI_LOCK_SHARED, target=A)
>> Win_lock(MPI_LOCK_SHARED, target=B)
>>
>> No matter what I use for A and B (given A != B), a process cannot acquire
>> more than one lock
>> at a time.
>>
>> To my understanding, it should be possible to acquire more than one lock.
>>
>> Can you confirm this issue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sebastian

> Jeff Hammond