[mpich-discuss] Installation on Blue Gene/Q

Sebastian Rinke rinke at cs.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Mar 26 17:25:19 CDT 2017

Dear all,

We are trying to install MPICH 3.1.4 on Blue Gene/Q and
encounter problems during configure.

Unfortunately, we are restricted to using GCC 4.8.{1, 3, 5}.
The error during configure is:

[…]
configure:53856: WARNING: Unable to determine the size of MPI_Offset
configure:53863: result: unknown
configure:54000: error: Unable to convert MPI_SIZEOF_OFFSET to a hex string.  This is either because we are building on a very strange platform or there is a bug somewhere in configure.

GCC 4.4.7 works, however, it lacks C++11 support which our code
relies on.

Our goal is to use MPI_Rget with C++11 on Blue Gene/Q.

Is there a way to make the configure work so that we can make
MPICH-3.1.4 compile?

We would be very grateful for any help on this issue.

Sebastian