[mpich-discuss] Fwd: MPICH fault tolerance and resiliency

Guo, Yanfei yguo at anl.gov
Wed May 31 23:55:30 CDT 2017

On 5/30/17, 10:19 PM, "sanjeev s" <snjv.workmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I have added the detailed use case..

> > I did not follow what were you trying to do here.  Can you be more specific?

> Suppose I have an application which accepts some request from client and do
> the MPI job on request arrival(lazy load of mpi lib). Now I started this
> application through mpiexec on 4 machines.
> mpiexec will start my application on 4 machines not MPI jobs. On request
> arrival I will distribute MPI jobs to this cluster after doing some processing
> in my application on master node.(1 of out of 4 I will designate as master
> node).  Now I want to add one more machine( having my application) to this
> cluster, without stopping my already running applications. My master process
> should be able to see this 5th machine and distribute the task. Is there any
> way to achieve this?

Is this "application" an MPI program? If so, there are two options. 1. Starting
the MPI process on the 5th machine and have it connect to your existing
processes (with MPI_Comm_connect/MPI_Comm_accept). 2. Letting the existing
processes spawn new processes on the new machine (with MPI_Comm_spawn). You can
check out the book "Using Advanced MPI" for details and examples. If the
aforementioned application is not an MPI program, then what you are trying to
do is beyond the scope of MPI.

> > Also, When I took the size(number of instance for that comm), I am not
> > getting the count for client instance. To distribute the task, I need to have
> > additional logic to handle this case in my application.

> Can you be more specific about which comm you were referring to?

> I am referring to MPI_COMM_WORLD. Is there any resize kind of api which will
> give me how many jobs are there on this comm after doing one accept connection?

MPI_COMM_WORLD is created during MPI_Init. It does not change when a new
process group is connected. The communicator that accepts the connection will
give you an intercommunicator which allows the accepting processes to talk to
the connecting processes. You can merge this intercommunicator to a
intracommunicator that contains all the processes.

> Hope this helps in understanding the problem.

> Regards
> Sanjeev

Yanfei Guo

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM, sanjeev s