[mpich-discuss] progress engine options

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 21:16:17 CDT 2017

I think TPE stands for thread progress engine and the question is about the
asynchronous progress agent enabled by MPICH_ASYNC_PROGRESS=1.

This agent is very high level and I doubt there’s a good way to make it
support blocking mode. You’d be better off writing a new async progress
engine in the device code.

Another idea is to not touch MPICH and instead look at OFI/libfabric, which
supports different progress modes and may be more amenable to what you
want. You should be able to get pointers from Sean Hefty and friends on the
associated email list.

Jeff

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 4:26 PM Halim Amer <aamer at anl.gov> wrote:

> Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about
>
> 1) what you mean by "progress engine to be enabled". Any device
> implementation in MPICH has a progress engine enabled all the time.
> There is no such thing as enable/disable the progress engine. Removing
> the progress engine would simply cause processes to hang
>
> 2) what TPE stands for
>
> Halim
> www.mcs.anl.gov/~aamer
>
> On 10/20/17 12:12 PM, Pau Farré wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Here at BSC (Antonio Peña's group) we were doing some modifications to
> > mpich that require the progress engine to be enabled, but we found that
> > the TPE polling was introducing some overhead.
> >
> > We were wondering if mpich supports a 'blocking' mode for the TPE. And
> > if so, It is compatible with Intel Omni-Path?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Pau Farré
> >
> > http://bsc.es/disclaimer

Jeff Hammond