[mpich-discuss] Debugging / Stopping on error

Thu Apr 12 03:05:56 CDT 2018

Hello,

I am using mpich on Arch on my own desktop computer. Unfortunatly, I don't have Totalview or DDT at hand.

OpenMPI has a useful option to pause on an MPI error:

mpirun --mca opal_abort_delay 600 -n 4 ...

so that I can attach with a debugger and backtrace up into my app. Is there something like that for mpich?

What other recommendation could you give for debugging MPI applications (not mpich itself), especially for MPI Ports. I
have re-compiled with --enable-g=all.

 setenv MPICH_DBG FILE
 setenv MPICH_DBG_LEVEL VERBOSE

works, but produces too detailed output, even when $MPICH_DBG_TYPICAL is defined, and also too far away from my
application code.

Thanks,
Florian