[mpich-discuss] nonblocking I/O sequence

Martin Pokorny mpokorny at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 6 09:07:33 CST 2018

I originally posted the following to the mpi-forum mailing list, but
have not received a reply. Perhaps someone on this list can help me out.

I'd like to ask for some clarification on the expected outcome of a
sequence of calls to non-blocking MPI-IO functions on a single file
handle. To be concrete, assume a sequence of calls to
MPI_File_iread_all(). My question concerns the result of making a new
request before a previous request has completed. Sec 13.6.5 of the
standard says "The call initiates the operation which may progress
independently of any communication, computation, or I/O.", which could
be interpreted to mean there's no guarantee that the second call will
start reading from the position of the file pointer after the completion
of the previous request. In some testing that I've done, when one
request does not wait for the previous request to complete, I get
inconsistent results in the sense that the following read does or does
not start from the file pointer position at the completion of the
previous read (seeming to depend on the number of ranks, but there could
be more to that effect). I'm uncertain whether the inconsistency that
I'm seeing is to be expected, or might point to a bug in the MPI library
implementation.

--
Martin Pokorny
Software Engineer