[mpich-discuss] MPICH install name (in Mac OS X)

lille stor lille.stor at gmx.com
Thu Feb 1 10:37:44 CST 2018

Hi,

I have successfully built MPICH 3.2.1 in Mac OS X 10.8 using GNU GCC 4.9 and LLVM LD 3.7.1.

Amongst others, the result of this build was a shared library called libmpi.12.dylib. When executing "otool -L libmpi.12.dylib" (the equivalent in Linux would be "ldd libmpi.12.dylib"), I can see that the install name of this shared library has an absolute path, namely:

    libmpi.12.dylib:
       /Users/dummy/workspace/mpich.3.2.1/buil/lib/libmpi.12.dylib (compatibility version 14.0.0, current version 14.1.0)
       (...)

To change the install name, one usually passes option "-Wl,-install_name,XYZ" (where XYZ is the new install name, which can be a relative path such as ../workspace/libmpi.12.dylib) to the linker.

My question is: how can I pass this option to MPICH configure script so that the resulting shared library (libmpi.12.dylib) does not have an absolute path as its install name?

Thank you!

L.