[mpich-discuss] Joining a job from a process without mpiexec parent

Michael.Stokes at uah.edu Michael.Stokes at uah.edu
Sat Mar 3 16:30:59 CST 2018

Dmitriy,

I've written a server and client code example and compiled it using
MPICH 3.2 using MPI_Comm_{accept,connect}() to see if MPICH 3.2 will
form a intercommunicator between the two processes without using a
launcher {mpiexec,mpirun}.  Before I started, I read the instructions (
MPI Specs 3.1 section 10.5.2). It states

"A high-quality implementation will allow any process (including those
not started with a
“parallel application” mechanism) to become an MPI process by calling
MPI_INIT. Such
a process can then connect to other MPI processes using the
MPI_COMM_ACCEPT and
MPI_COMM_CONNECT routines, or spawn other MPI processes. MPI does not
mandate
this behavior, but strongly encourages it where technically feasible."

Case 1) With the server and client run directly from the command-line
the server executes down to the MPI_Comm_accept() call as anticipated,
but when the port name is entered into the client process, it dies on
MPI_Comm_connect() with the error ...

match_arg (utils/args/args.c:159): unrecognized argument pmi_args
[mpiexec at Que] HYDU_parse_array (utils/args/args.c:174): argument
matching returned error
[mpiexec at Que] parse_args (ui/mpich/utils.c:1596): error parsing input array
[mpiexec at Que] HYD_uii_mpx_get_parameters (ui/mpich/utils.c:1648): unable
to parse user arguments
[mpiexec at Que] main (ui/mpich/mpiexec.c:153): error parsing parameters

Case 2) When I run the server directly from the command-line and launch
the client using mpirun, the same sort of error messages emerge but this
time from the server.  Since the server blocks on the accept() call, the
client must be successful in sending something to the server.  But
apparently not what it is expecting.

So my conclusion is that MPICH is attempting to support the Singleton
process, but either has a bug or there might be an installation issue on
my end.

Hopefully someone can help sort this.

--Mike