[mpich-discuss] GUI to debug MPI code in Visual Studio Code

Denis Davydov davydden at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:32:29 CDT 2018

Dear all,

Developers of Cpptools <https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-cpptools> plugin for Visual Studio Code (a free source code editor developed by Microsoft for Windows, Linux and macOS with support for debugging, embedded Git control, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, and code refactoring) are considering <https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-cpptools/issues/1723#issuecomment-376329029> doing a (minor) extension to support debugging of MPI with GUI using lldb/gdb.
Before committing to do this work, they want to see enough interest from community who use MPI.
If you are interested in having this feature, please leave a comment or thumb-up a feature request GitHub issue page https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-cpptools/issues/1723 <https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-cpptools/issues/1723>

p.s. I have no affiliation with this project, I just develop with MPI and often need to debug MPI code.
I think that Visual Studio Code have potential for a good GUI to debug jobs with about 4-8 MPI cores,
which is often enough to catch bugs.
Their GUI already supports simultaneously attaching debuggers to processes (see https://code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_20#_node-debugging <https://code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_20#_node-debugging> ),
I think it’s only a matter of using this feature of VS Code in the official C++ plugin.

Regards,
Denis.