[mpich-discuss] Sockets not working? Can't be true!

Alexander Supalov alexander.supalov at gmail.com
Wed May 23 06:32:45 CDT 2018

Hi everybody,

I made a funny observation using a simple ping-pong MPI program on my local
network setup. Intranode runs are OK. Internode runs hang over ch3:sock and
fail or hang over nemesis, depending on OS version. Standard ping works
fine internode on both sides, and so do my own socket-based programs. Any
idea what this might be?

Nemesis diagnostics under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:

c -f mpi.hosts -n 2 $PWD/pingpong
Assertion failed in file src/mpid/ch3/channels/nemesis/netmod/tcp/socksm.c
at line 597: hdr.datalen != 0
internal ABORT - process 1

Host list:

192.168.178.31
192.168.178.32

Platform:

Intel, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on one side, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the other,
MPICH-3.2 on both, 100-Mbit Ethernet in between.

Best regards.

Alexander