[mpich-discuss] _get_addr error while running application using MPICH

Balaji, Pavan balaji at anl.gov
Mon Nov 26 14:43:29 CST 2018

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Zhou, Hui <zhouh at anl.gov> wrote:
> Is there difference between mpirun and mpiexec. I understand the official standards only specifies mpiexec, and mpirun often (is it always?) is a link to mpiexec. Is there `unofficial` convention for mpirun, such as always present, always a link,  no difference to mpiexec at all? It appears to me that mpirun is more wide spread than mpiexec (I always have been using mpirun).

They are the same.  The history is that MPI-1 didn't specify anything, so implementations started using "mpirun".  When MPI-2 specified a launcher, they wanted to use a different name and came up with "mpiexec".  In current implementations there is no difference.  In mpich, they are both symlinks to mpiexec.hydra.

  -- Pavan