[mpich-discuss] how to dynamically schedule process in mpich

Zhou, Hui zhouh at anl.gov
Thu Nov 29 17:17:23 CST 2018

What is your system? PBS? You have to prescribe a pool of nodes with qsub and run mpiexec -n 1 (for example). Then when you launch additional mpi process dynamically, hydra will spawn new processes within the prescribed pool. If your original pool is a single host, then all new dynamic process will be on that single host. If you describe multiple hosts, I believe hydra will do round-robin style allocation, i.e. the next processes will go to host 2, host 3, …., host N, host 1 (circle back).

This is my current understanding. Let me know whether you can confirm.

—
Hui Zhou