[mpich-discuss] Problem setting up MPI cluster

Matthew Overlin moverlin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 09:03:46 CDT 2018

Hello, all.  I have been using MPI locally for awhile, but I am now tryiong
to set up an MPI cluster: my ubuntu desktop computer & a raspberry pi with
ubuntu mate.

I am following the steps here
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MpichCluster>.
That is, on the client (rpi) side, I mount a drive on the master
(desktop).
To test the set-up, I issue an mpirun command to get the hostname from each
IP address:
$ *mpirun -np 2 -hosts XX.XX.X.60, XX.XX.X.136 hostname*
userName-Z97X-UD3H-BK
[mpiexec at userName-Z97X-UD3H-BK] control_cb (pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_cb.c:208):
assert (!closed) failed
[mpiexec at userName-Z97X-UD3H-BK] HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event
(tools/demux/demux_poll.c:77): callback returned error status
[mpiexec at userName-Z97X-UD3H-BK] HYD_pmci_wait_for_completion
(pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_pmci.c:198): error waiting for event
[mpiexec at userName-Z97X-UD3H-BK] main (ui/mpich/mpiexec.c:340): process
manager error waiting for completion

I get a hostname from one IP address, but not the other IP address.  Would
someone happen to know what is going on here?  I'm not having much luck
with this error message, or from other people's advice on
forums/blogs/etc.  I have mpich on both the desktop and raspberry pi.
Ideally, I want to have point-to-point communication example between the
two, some kind of inter-computer ("client/server") communication.

Thanks!
Matt Overlin