[mpich-discuss] too many ssh connections warning

Mccall, Kurt E. (MSFC-EV41) kurt.e.mccall at nasa.gov
Mon Dec 2 15:14:38 CST 2019

My application uses mainly inter-communicators rather than intra-communicators for fault tolerance.    A particular process might have 20 inter-communicators active at one time.   I'm receiving the warning

[mpiexec at n010.cluster.com] WARNING: too many ssh connections to n009.cluster.com; waiting 6 seconds

What is the cause of this?   I have several guesses:

1)      MPICH has an internal limit on the number of  connections

2)      I'm bumping up against a Linux limit on the number of connections

3)      Non-blocking communication using MPI_Isend() creates a temporary ssh connection (not likely)

The other question is, what are  the consequences of "waiting 6 seconds"?   Are some non-blocking messages dropped?

I'm using MPICH 3.3.2, CentOS 3.10 and the Portland Group compiler pgc++ 19.5.0.