[mpich-discuss] Best practices for installation procedures of ib-drivers/ucx/pmix/mpich stack

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Thu Dec 12 08:54:20 CST 2019

Hi MPICH-developers,

I'm trying to help the sysadmins at my univ. cluster install mpich using
spack with ucx and pmix (previously we just let mpich interact with slurm's
pmi2 and as mentioned on the mailing list the old versions of mpich either
failed to read the nodelist properly or were (incorrectly) configured with
default TCP/IP transport protocols).

After the sysadmins installed pmix-2.2.3 and pmix-3.1.3 from rpm's at
/usr/lib64/pmix-version (and configured slurm to use them), I tried
building mpich in my home folder (on GPFS) but it was giving a build error
as it was picking up some wrong libraries from /usr/lib64. When I installed
pmix using spack in my home directory (on GPFS), I was able to build
mpich-devel against it.

What is the best location to install pmix and ucx? Does it have to be
available on every node and if yes would it be on the local file system on
each node or GPFS file-system ? Or is it okay to have it installed on the
slurm launcher node alone ?

Hope this is the right place to ask this question and thanks in advance for
the help!

--
Sajid Ali | PhD Candidate
Applied Physics