[mpich-discuss] [Request for Cooperation] -- MPI International Survey

George Bosilca bosilca at icl.utk.edu
Wed Feb 20 13:39:37 CST 2019

Dear colleagues,

As part of a wide-ranging effort to understand the current usage of the
Message Passing Interface (MPI) in the development of parallel applications
and to drive future additions to the MPI standard, an international team is
seeking feedback from the largest possible MPI audience (past, current, and
potential users on the globe) to obtain a better understanding of their
needs and to understand the impact of different MPI capabilities on the
development of distributed applications.

To obtain representative samples of the MPI community, we have prepared a
survey

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd1bDppVODc8nB0BjIXdqSCO_MuEuNAAbBixl4onTchwSQFwg/viewform

that specifically targets all potential MPI users, including those in the
public, education, research and engineering domains--from undergraduate and
graduate students and postdocs to seasoned researchers and engineers.

The information gathered will be used to publish a comprehensive report of
the different use cases and potential areas of opportunity. These results
will be made freely available, and the raw data, the scripts to manipulate
it, as well as the resulting analysis will be, in time, posted on github [1],
while the curated results will be available via github pages [2].

For anyone interested in participating in the survey, we sincerely
appreciate your feedback.  The survey is rather short (about 30 easy
questions), and should not take more than 15 minutes to complete.  In
addition to your participation, we would appreciate if you re-distribute
this e-mail to your domestic/local communities.

Important Date -- This survey will be closed by the end of February 2019.

Questions? -- Please send any queries about this MPI survey to one of the
authors of the survey.

Thank you on behalf of the International MPI Survey,
George Bosilca (UT/ICL)
Geoffroy Vallee (ORNL)
Emmanuel Jeannot (Inria)
Atsushi Hori (RIKEN)