[mpich-discuss] Incorrect error checking?

Nick Radcliffe nradclif at cray.com
Thu Jun 20 13:09:10 CDT 2019

Actually, scratch that. My example isn't valid for this case. I'll have to take another look at the user's code to see why it's failing.

Nick Radcliffe  Software Engineer | Cray Inc.

2131 Lindau Ln #1000 | Bloomington, MN 55425

+1-651-605-8864  nradclif at cray.com<mailto:email at cray.com>  www.cray.com<http://www.cray.com>

The reason I brought this up is that a user's (valid) code was failing due to this parameter check. It's possible to use an address that's not 8 byte aligned to store a pointer to an int, i.e.,

    int *x;

    int *y;

    x = malloc(16);
    y = &x[1];

I would generally expect y to be 4 byte aligned in the above case. So sometimes this parameter check will cause a correct program to fail, right?