[mpich-discuss] Optimizing runtime for 4 mpiexec.hydra jobs

Congiu, Giuseppe gcongiu at anl.gov
Wed Nov 13 16:22:29 CST 2019

Sorry I meant separated cores and numas. You can run lstopo (LSTOPO) to discover how hwthreads are numbered by hwloc (hydra uses hwloc to do the binding). Once you know how hwthreads are numbered you can use "-bind-to user:” to make sure you are running each MPI process on separate cores and numas.

Best,
Giuseppe

> On Nov 13, 2019, at 3:37 PM, Douglas Dommermuth via discuss <discuss at mpich.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Giuseppe,
>
> Thanks for your help.   For NUMA Node 0, the hardware threads are 0-63 and 128-191.  Thread 0 is paired with 128 on the same core, 1 is paired with 129, etc.  For NUMA Node 1, the hardware threads are 64-127 and 192-255.  How do I run the two jobs on completely separated hardware threads and numas?
>
> Thank you, Doug.

>>> mpirun.mpich -bind-to user:64+1 -n 64 myprog &
>>> mpirun.mpich -bind-to user:128+1 -n 64 myprog &