[mpich-discuss] Should MPI_Abort() call exit or _exit?

Zhou, Hui zhouh at anl.gov
Tue Apr 21 13:18:02 CDT 2020

Let’s make it clear – inside a signal handler, one is not allowed to call any interrupt unsafe functions, that includes all MPI functions including `MPI_Abort`, which means `MPL_exit` should never be called inside a signal handler. Back to the question, since `MPL_exit` is not inside a signal handler, it is allowed to call `exit`.

I don’t think it is possible to do any real clean up inside a signal handler. The best a signal handler can do is to flip some atomic flags, the your applications should have checkpoints check those flags and do your graceful exit if necessary.

--
Hui Zhou