[mpich-discuss] How to spawn a non-MPI process with MPI_Comm_spawn

Raffenetti, Kenneth J. raffenet at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 13 13:18:22 CST 2020

I'm afraid I don't have a great answer for this. Hydra, the default
MPICH process manager, uses fork/execvp to launch (or spawn) MPI
processes. But this happens at the node-level daemon. As you noted, this
may not be safe to do from the MPI-level, particularly if using an RDMA
network. If MPICH is not configured for RDMA (i.e. TCP/IP), fork/exec
should be OK for creating non-MPI processes.

Ken