[mpich-discuss] MPICH 3.3.2 Unable to Build on macOS 10.15

Raffenetti, Kenneth J. raffenet at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 27 20:31:04 CST 2020

We identified this as an Intel compiler issue and added a workaround in
https://github.com/pmodels/mpich/commit/59fd76de45bb4c5bfeff08883c4a37990522e66c
to address it, but your report indicates it is still an issue.
Unfortunately I do not have access to Intel compilers for macOS at the
moment to test another fix.

You can disable thread-local storage entirely in order to build with the
configure option below. Note this may have negative performance
implications for multi-threaded applications.

   ./configure pac_cv_tls=none [...]

Ken

On 1/27/20 3:48 PM, Songchen Tan via discuss wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> No problem, it is attached.
>
> By the way, I also tried again on macOS 10.14, it failed due to the same
> reason, so it is unlikely that the problem is related to macOS 10.15.
>
> Sincerely yours,
> Songchen
>
> Songchen Tan 10292504
> College of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley 97420, U. S. A.
> Email: tansongchen at berkeley.edu
> Cell: (+86)13501382788
> 在 2020年1月28日 +0800 03:57,Raffenetti, Kenneth J. via discuss
> <discuss at mpich.org>,写道:
>> Can you also send along src/mpl/config.log from your build directory?
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> On 1/27/20 11:57 AM, Songchen Tan via discuss wrote:
>>> Dear Developers,
>>>
>>> I am Songchen Tan at UC Berkeley, recently I am trying to use MPICH on
>>> macOS 10.15. Though binaries via homebrew is available, I would like to
>>> build from source in order to configure it with Intel compilers (icc,
>>> icpc and ifort).
>>>
>>> To reproduce the problem:
>>>
>>> 1. Download the source in ~/Applications/;
>>> 2. Unzip with `tar -xvzf mpich-3.3.2.tar.gz`, then `cd mpich-3.3.2`;
>>> 3. Run `./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/mpich/3.3.2 CC=icc
>>> CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort 2>&1 | tee c.txt`;
>>> 4. Build with `make VERBOSE=1 2>&1 | tee m.txt`.
>>> 5. Then I am noticed: `Undefined symbols for architecture