[mpich-discuss] Problem configuring mpich-3.4a3 and 3.4a2 --with-device=ch4:ucx

Audet, Martin Martin.Audet at cnrc-nrc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 22 21:40:56 CDT 2020

Hello MPICH_Developers,

I am having trouble running the configure script on two latest mpich release (3.4a2 and 3.4a3) when I use the flag --with-device=ch4:ucx (no such problems with ch3:sock or ch3:nemesis). It seems that the generated Makefile often contains two strange compilation and link flags: -Iyes/include  and -Lyes/lib.

To be able to compile the library I had to use the following command to remove those strange flags:

   find . -name Makefile -exec sed -i -e 's/-Iyes\/include\>//g' -e 's/-Lyes\/lib\>//g' {} \;

After this step I am able to compile and the resulting library seems ok and appears to performs well (not extensive testing).

For your information I call the configure script like this:

   ./configure --with-device=ch4:ucx --with-hcoll=/opt/mellanox/hcoll --with-pmix --prefix=/home/publique/depot/mpi/mpich-ch4_ucx-3.4a3 --enable-fast=all --enable-romio --with-file-system=ufs+nfs --enable-shared --enable-sharedlibs=gcc

I had experienced this problem on the following three configurations:

   mpich-3.4a2  CentOS 7.6  MOFED 4.7
   mpich-3.4a3  CentOS 7.6  MOFED 4.7
   mpich-3.4a3  CentOS 7.8  MOFED 4.9

The architecture is x86_64.

Could someone take a look at this problem ?

Thanks,

Martin Audet