[mpich-discuss] How locking on multi-VCI works

Zhou, Hui zhouh at anl.gov
Mon Dec 6 11:34:51 CST 2021

The total number of VCIs are configured with --with-ch4-max-vcis=#​. The maximum is 64. The default used to be 1, but it is changed to 64 in 4.0b1 release. There is also an option to control the vci assignment method: --enable-ch4-vci-method={communicator,tag,implicit}​. The default is communicator​, with which we assign vci to communicators in a round-robin fashion. If you create communicators consecutively, they are expected to have different VCIs. The other vci-method​s are at the experimental stage. If the communicator method is insufficient for your application, it may be worth a try.  We'd like to understand your use case better before pointing you that way.

I am not exactly understanding your question. The vci locks are local process locks, so if you have N VCIs, you will have N channels for each process. With vci-method=communicator​, the vcis are one-to-one matched, i.e. rank 1 vci 1 only communicates to rank 2 (any ranks with the same communicator) vci 1.

--
Hui Zhou