[mpich-discuss] Questions about MPICH multi-thread support

Zhou, Hui zhouh at anl.gov
Tue Jan 26 15:55:24 CST 2021

> Question 1. I am aware of the message envelope tuples (source, destination, tag, communicator) that may be used to identify and filter different messages. While using MPICH, can I rely on such information in order to guarantee that the correct messages will reach/be matched with their destinations in a multiprocess multithreaded program?

Yes, you can rely on the correctness of MPI implementation. That is, if your `rank, tag, communicator` matches the messages correctly to your intention, then you can trust that a correct implementation will do that even in a multi-threaded setting.

The care need be taken that when your `rank, tag, ,communicator` doesn’t uniquely match, and if you send or receive in different threads, the order of matching is not certain, and it may surprise you. But that is just the perils of concurrent programming.

> Question 2. Is there a problem when mixing blocking and non-blocking calls on opposite sides of a message? Even in the multithreaded scenarios described previously? (e.g. matching a MPI_Isend with a MPI_Recv, and vice-versa.)

No, there is no problem in that.

--
Hui Zhou