[mpich-discuss] Is it okay to remove F77 support?

Håkon Strandenes haakon at hakostra.net
Wed Jan 27 07:52:53 CST 2021

You must differentiate between Fortran 77 and fixed-form Fortran source
code.

I doubt there are any true Fortran 77 code around today.

I am myself maintaining a large codebase written in Fixed Form Fortran.
The code was probably Fortran 77 at some point 30-40 years ago, but not
any more. Yet we still maintain parts in Fixed Form, though. This code
is Fortran 2003 at minimum.

I do not have the Fortran 2018 standard document around, but at least
Fortran 2008 include fixed-form as an allowed source form (although
marked as deprecated). For those interested, this is chapter 3.3 "Source
form" in ISO/IEC 1539-1:2010.

F77 can only be fixed form, but that does not make any fixed-form
Fortran program F77. Fixed-form Fortran can be F2008 as well.

This must be understood correctly for this discussion to be fruitful.

Best regards,
Håkon