[mpich-discuss] Is it okay to remove F77 support?

Zhou, Hui zhouh at anl.gov
Wed Jan 27 08:14:13 CST 2021

Thanks! This type of response is the exact the kind of response we are looking for.

Okay, to clarify, there is no plan to stop support legacy f77 mpi applications that relies on `mpif.h` to work. We have a large set of test suites in F77 and we will always ensure these tests pass.

My question is really about simplifying the MPICH build. Currently we still assume there are Fortran compilers out there that will only compile (somewhat strict) F77 and our configure scripts checks for F77 compiler and F90 compiler separately, and our binding code have measures to ensure we don’t use features that legacy F77 compiler won’t accept. My question is, is there really such compilers out there? And if there is, is it okay for us not to support such compilers?

This is a similar question as moving our code base to C99, it is all about making code development easier and in the meantime ensure that we do not impose extra inconvenience for our user to build MPICH.

--
Hui Zhou