[mpich-discuss] Why stuck in MPI_Finalize?

Zhou, Hui zhouh at anl.gov
Mon Nov 29 16:12:14 CST 2021

Hi Erik,

It is not just a barrier in MPI_Finalize. It also needs to make sure pending communications are completed. Sometimes this is the user's fault, such as mismatched communication or partially freed communicators. But sometimes this is due to lower-level network library. For example, some libfabric provider does not always flush send. We tried to detect and prevent all cases that result in hanging, but there always seem to be cases that escape our solution. If you can drill down some simple reproducible (even with 5% chance) cases, please create a github issue and we'll track it down.

By the way, if you have pointers on setting up Julia CI testing, we can try to setup nightly testing on our end as well. Catching the errors when it appear always makes troubleshooting easier.

--
Hui