[mpich-discuss] MPI_Init and MPI_COMM_WORLD

Palmer, Bruce J Bruce.Palmer at pnnl.gov
Wed Apr 13 12:29:01 CDT 2022

Hi,

Does MPI_COMM_WORLD exist in any sense before MPI_Init is called? In particular, does this code violate the standard?

InitializeMyApp(MPI_Comm comm, int argc, char **argv)
{
  int initialized;
  MPI_Initialized(&initialized);
  if (!initialized) MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);
  /* call some function that uses comm */
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  MPI_Comm comm = MPI_COMM_WORLD;
  InitializeMyApp(comm, argc, argv);
     :
}

My instinct is that this is wrong, but I would like to be sure before I complain about it. It appears to work with some existing implementations, but it looks sketchy to me.

Bruce