[mpich-discuss] How to gracefully exit an MPI server process when it is waiting on MPI_Comm_accept

Rupsa Chakraborty c.rupsa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 01:29:39 CST 2022

Hi Hui, Joachim,

Thanks for the information.
I am not able to find in the internet a clear example as to how to populate
MPI_Info and use it with MPI_Comm_accept. I tried to do the following, but
this is giving errors as shown below.
Could you provide a small example to set up a timeout with MPI_Comm_accept?
Do I need to populate port info too with MPI_Info?

            MPI_Init(NULL, NULL);
            char portName[MPI_MAX_PORT_NAME];
            MPI_Open_port(MPI_INFO_NULL, portName);

            MPI_Info info;
            MPI_Info_create( &info );
            MPI_Info_set(info, "timeout", "2");

            MPI_Comm intercomm;
            MPI_Comm_accept(portName, info, 0, MPI_COMM_SELF, &intercomm);

Error:
$ ./server
Waiting to accept....
Abort(671693606) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in
internal_Comm_accept: Invalid port, error stack:
internal_Comm_accept(102)....:
MPI_Comm_accept(port_name=tag#0$connentry#020098ADAC1785B70000000000000000$,
info=0x9c000002, 0, MPI_COMM_SELF, newcomm=0x7f79b17dbcb8) failed
MPID_Comm_accept(442)........:
dynamic_intercomm_create(400):
peer_intercomm_create(334)...:
(unknown)(): Invalid port