[mpich-discuss] mpiexec : multi nodes and multi-cores questions

Nicholas Yue yue.nicholas at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:11:42 CDT 2022

Hi,

  I am using mpiexec from Paraview which from the `help` print out,
indicates that it is derived from MPICH

```
Please see the intructions provided at
http://wiki.mpich.org/mpich/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager
for further details
```

  so I thought I might ask some questions on this mailing list.

  I have set up a two node cluster, each compute node has 4 cores

  To fully utilise all the cores in both nodes, is this the correct way to
launch pvserver ?

```
/shared/ParaView-5.10.1-osmesa-MPI-Linux-Python3.9-x86_64/bin/mpiexec
-hosts compute0,compute1 -np 8
 /shared/ParaView-5.10.1-osmesa-MPI-Linux-Python3.9-x86_64/bin/pvserver
```

  If I change to `-np 4` would mpiexec use only compute0 or would it still
run on both compute0 and compute1 but use only 2 cores of each node ?

Cheers
--
Nicholas Yue
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasyue/