[mpich-discuss] Buffer corruption due to an excessive number of messages

Joachim Jenke jenke at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Sep 15 10:20:10 CDT 2023

Am 15.09.23 um 17:09 schrieb Tony Curtis via discuss:

>> On Sep 15, 2023, at 11:07 AM, Raffenetti, Ken via discuss
>> <discuss at mpich.org> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Is there a way to detect this kind of overload with an MPI call?
>>
>> If MPI detects an error at runtime, the default behavior is to abort
>> the application. If you application does not abort (and you haven't
>> changed the default error handler), then no error was detected by MPI.
>>

> There’s a tool called MUST that might help
>
> MUST - RWTH AACHEN UNIVERSITY Lehrstuhl für Informatik 12 - Deutsch
> <https://www.i12.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/nrbe>
> i12.rwth-aachen.de <https://www.i12.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/nrbe>
> 	apple-touch-icon-180x180.png <https://www.i12.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/nrbe>
>
> <https://www.i12.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/nrbe>

The current release version can only detect conflicts in buffer usage at
MPI API level. That means, it will only detect buffer conflicts for
in-flight messages as in:

MPI_Irecv(buf, MPI_INT, 10, ..., req1);
MPI_Irecv(&buf[9], MPI_INT, 10, ..., req2);
MPI_Wait(req1,...);
MPI_Wait(req2,...);

The upcoming release I was referencing in my other mail would detect
conflicting accesses to in-flight buffers as in:

MPI_Irecv(buf, MPI_INT, 10, ..., req);
buf[5]=5;
MPI_Wait(req,...);

> (Not affiliated, just happen to have been looking at it)

Happy to see that people look at the tool :D

- Joachim

> Tony

Dr. rer. nat. Joachim Jenke

IT Center
Group: High Performance Computing
Division: Computational Science and Engineering
RWTH Aachen University
Seffenter Weg 23
D 52074  Aachen (Germany)
Tel: +49 241 80- 24765