[mpich-discuss] Mpich over RDMA sample

Zhou, Hui zhouh at anl.gov
Wed Jun 12 14:41:08 CDT 2024

Niyaz,

All you need to do is to set an environment variable `FI_PROVIDER=verbs`.

--
Hui Zhou

From: Niyaz Murshed <Niyaz.Murshed at arm.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 12, 2024 at 1:23 PM
To: Zhou, Hui <zhouh at anl.gov>, discuss at mpich.org <discuss at mpich.org>
Cc: nd <nd at arm.com>
Subject: Re: Mpich over RDMA sample
When testing with Libfabric, verbs provider is selected. I did have to use “-e msg -d mlx5_1” so that it selects verbs. I was checking if there is anything like that for mpich sample tests. Else might need to do some hack in the code to force
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
When testing with Libfabric, verbs provider is selected. I did have to use “-e msg -d mlx5_1”  so that it selects verbs.
I was checking if there is anything like that for mpich sample tests. Else might need to do some hack in the code to force the selection of verbs.

Libfabric support multiple providers. Sounds like it was selecting the sockets or tcp provider rather than a provider that support RoCE. I am not exactly sure whether the verbs provider will do that. If you can confirm the provider using libfabric tests, then you can try forcing MPICH to use that provider by setting the FI_PROVIDER environment variable.

--
Hui Zhou