[mpich-discuss] Fail on MPI_Wait

Palmer, Bruce J Bruce.Palmer at pnnl.gov
Fri Jun 21 12:27:01 CDT 2024

Hui,

When I set FI_PROVIDER=tcp, the code crashes in MPI_Init. Specifically, this code will fail on one process:

#include "mpi.h"

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);
  MPI_Finalize();
}

I’m running on a system with the following modules

[d3g293 at deception02 testing]$ module list
Currently Loaded Modulefiles:
  1) gcc/11.2.0            3) python/3.7.0          5) mkl/2019u4
  2) cmake/3.21.4          4) git/2.42.0(default)   6) cuda/11.8

and a home-built version of mpich-4.2.1 configured with

../configure --prefix=/people/d3g293/mpich/mpich-4.2.1/build_decptn/install \
            --with-device=ch4:ofi:sockets --with-libfabric=embedded \
            --without-ucx CC=gcc CXX=g++

I thought it might have something to do with using a build configuration in my application build that is set up to include Cuda, but it also fails in MPI_Init with a non-Cuda configuraton if I set the FI_PROVIDER variable.

Bruce