[mpich-devel] old old MPICH history now on line

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 15 15:35:31 CDT 2015

Did you ever run 'git blame' to find out why some part of MPICH does
what it does, only to find the commit responsible was 6a1cbdcfc42 "Added
all components in the right places."?  I'm personally surprised how
often I care about changes made more than 8 years ago.

If you, like me, sometimes find yourself needing more history, you can
now -- ta-da -- consult http://git.mpich.org/mpich-CVS.git/

When we converted from CVS to subversion back in 2007, the conversion
tools could not handle some oddities in our CVS repository,
necessitating a wipeoput of history. I guess in the intervening 8 years
the conversion tools are more tolerant (once you repack your repository
to remove any modules-containing-modules).

This is still a disconnected tree from today's MPICH development, but
now you can browse the old history with the tools we are familiar with
today (no need to build/install cvsps or remember old CVS commands).

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA