[mpich-devel] old old MPICH history now on line

Dave Goodell (dgoodell) dgoodell at cisco.com
Wed Jul 15 16:01:46 CDT 2015

On Jul 15, 2015, at 3:35 PM, Rob Latham <robl at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Did you ever run 'git blame' to find out why some part of MPICH does what it does, only to find the commit responsible was 6a1cbdcfc42 "Added all components in the right places."?  I'm personally surprised how often I care about changes made more than 8 years ago.
>
> If you, like me, sometimes find yourself needing more history, you can now -- ta-da -- consult http://git.mpich.org/mpich-CVS.git/

Rob,

Nice!  I don't generally need MPICH history that often these days, but still a win in the ongoing struggle to extirpate CVS, not to mention making the CVS history available to folks without MCS accounts.

If you want to be really slick, you could try grafting in this old history with git-replace in a local repo and then publishing those graft instructions: https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-replace.html

-Dave