[mpich-devel] supporting Fortran INTEGER when it's 64b

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:02:07 CDT 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Dave Goodell (dgoodell)
<dgoodell at cisco.com> wrote:
> On May 19, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As I do not know Perl, I don't think I can contribute patches.
>
> No time like the present to learn (though much of the perl in MPICH is not a paragon of perl best practices).

There are better uses of time than learning Perl :-)

> Perl is basically the Fortran 90 of scripting languages.  It's very effective for certain tasks, it's widely used & available, it's something of a dying language among younger programmers, and it requires discipline to write a readable program.  You already know plenty of Fortran badness, a little Perl won't taint you further.

I resent the insinuation that, because I am a Fortran programmer, I
must have no standards regarding programming languages.  Fortran is a
fantastic DSL for numerical computation, which is all I use it for.

It would take me longer to learn Perl and get in a position to modify
Bill's Perl than to start from scratch and write my own Fortran
binding generator in Python.  If I do anything on this front, that
will be it.

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/