[mpich-devel] initializing ROMIO at MPI_Init time

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 29 17:00:16 CDT 2015

Our friends working on the HDF5 library want to clean up HDF5 metadta at
finalize time.  So, they put an attribute on MPI_COMM_SELF and have the
delete function make a few MPI-IO routines to write out dirty metadata
blocks.

Except ROMIO beat them to it and hoked a delete function on
MPI_COMM_SELF, so they end up making MPI_FILE_* calls after romio's shut
down.

The easy, if not exactly user-friendly, workaround is to tell them to
initialize romio early on: call MPI_Init() then call MPI_FILE_OPEN with
any parameters, then hook up their attributes.

What if I want to initialize ROMIO in the MPI_Init path?   ROMIO's
initialization makes a few MPI attribute calls, as I said, so is there a
point after which that facility is availalbe?  Is the attached patch the
totally wrong way to do this?

==rob

--
Rob Latham