[mpich-discuss] Use of MPI derived data types / MPI file IO

jgrime at uchicago.edu jgrime at uchicago.edu
Sun Nov 18 11:52:02 CST 2012

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with using derived data types and MPI parallel IO, and
was wondering if anyone could help. I tried to search the archives in case this
was covered earlier, but that just gave me "ht://Dig error" messages.

Outline: I have written a C++ program where each MPI rank acts on data stored
in a local array of structures. The arrays are typically of different lengths on each
rank. I wish to write and read the contents of these arrays to disk using MPI's
parallel IO routines. The file format is simply an initial integer which describes
how many "structures" are in the file, followed by the data which represents the
"structure information" from all ranks (ie the total data set).

So far, I've tried two different approaches: the first consists of each rank
serialising the contents of the local array of structures into a byte array, which is
then saved to file "f" using MPI_File_set_view( f, MPI_COMM_WORLD, offset,
MPI_CHAR, MPI_CHAR, "native", MPI_INFO_NULL ) to skip the initial integer
"header" and then a call to MPI_File_write_all( f, local_bytearray, local_n_bytes,
MPI_CHAR, &status ). Here, "offset" is simply the size of an integer (in bytes) +
the summation of the number of bytes each preceeding rank wishes to write to
the file (received via an earlier MPI_Allgather call). This seems to work, as when I
read the file back in on a single MPI rank and deserialise the data into an array of
structures I get the results I expect.

The second approach is to use MPI's derived data types to create MPI
representations of the structures, and then treat the arrays of structures as MPI
data types. This allows me to avoid copying the local data into an intermediate
buffer etc, and seems the more elegant approach. I cannot, however, seem to
make this approach work.

I'm pretty sure the problem lies in my use of the file views, but I'm not sure
where I'm going wrong. The reading of the integer "header" always works fine,
but the proceeding data is garbled. I'm using the "native" data representation for
testing, but will likely change that to something more portable when I get this
code working.

I've included the important excerpts of the test code I'm trying to use below
(with some printf()s and error handling etc removed to make it a little more
concise). I have previously tested that std::vector allocates a contiguous flat
array of the appropriate data type in memory, so passing a pointer/reference to
the first element in such a data structure behaves the same way as simply
passing a conventional array of the appropriate data type:

struct atom
{
	int global_id;
	double xyz[3];
};

void write( char * fpath, std::vector<struct atom> &atoms, int rank, int nranks )
{
	/*
		Memory layout information for the structure we wish to convert into
an
		MPI derived data type.
	*/
	std::vector<int> s_blocklengths;
	std::vector<MPI_Aint> s_displacements;
	std::vector<MPI_Datatype> s_datatypes;
	MPI_Aint addr_start, addr;
	MPI_Datatype mpi_atom_type, mpi_atom_type_resized;
	int type_size;

	struct atom a;

	MPI_File f;
	MPI_Status stat;
	MPI_Offset offset;
	char *datarep = (char *)"native";

	std::vector<int> all_N;
	int local_N, global_N;

	/*
		Set up the structure data type: single integer, and 3 double precision
floats.
		We use the temporary "a" structure to determine the layout of memory
inside
		atom structures.
	*/
	MPI_Get_address( &a, &addr_start );

	s_blocklengths.push_back( 1 );
	s_datatypes.push_back( MPI_INT );
	MPI_Get_address( &a.global_id, &addr );
	s_displacements.push_back( addr - addr_start );

	s_blocklengths.push_back( 3 );
	s_datatypes.push_back( MPI_DOUBLE );
	MPI_Get_address( &a.xyz[0], &addr );
	s_displacements.push_back( addr - addr_start );

	MPI_Type_create_struct( (int)s_blocklengths.size(), &s_blocklengths[0],
&s_displacements[0], &s_datatypes[0], &mpi_atom_type );
	MPI_Type_commit( &mpi_atom_type );

	/*
		Take into account any compiler padding in creating an array of
structures.
	*/
	MPI_Type_create_resized( mpi_atom_type, 0, sizeof(struct atom),
&mpi_atom_type_resized );
	MPI_Type_commit( &mpi_atom_type_resized );

	MPI_Type_size( mpi_atom_type_resized, &type_size );

	local_N = (int)atoms.size();
	all_N.resize( nranks );

	MPI_Allgather( &local_N, 1, MPI_INT, &all_N[0], 1, MPI_INT,
MPI_COMM_WORLD );

	global_N = 0;
	for( size_t i=0; i<all_N.size(); i++ ) global_N += all_N[i];

	offset = 0;
	for( int i=0; i<rank; i++ ) offset += all_N[i];

	offset *= type_size; // convert from structure counts -> bytes into file for
true structure size
	offset += sizeof( int ); // skip leading integer (global_N) in file.

	MPI_File_open( MPI_COMM_WORLD, fpath, MPI_MODE_CREATE |
MPI_MODE_WRONLY, MPI_INFO_NULL, &f );
	if( rank == 0 )
	{
		MPI_File_write( f, &global_N, 1, MPI_INT, &stat );
	}
	MPI_File_set_view( f, offset, mpi_atom_type_resized,
mpi_atom_type_resized, datarep, MPI_INFO_NULL );

	MPI_File_write_all( f, &atoms[0], (int)atoms.size(), mpi_atom_type_resized,
&stat );
	MPI_File_close( &f );

	MPI_Type_free( &mpi_atom_type );
	MPI_Type_free( &mpi_atom_type_resized );

	return;
}

void read( char * fpath, std::vector<struct atom> &atoms )
{
	std::vector<int> s_blocklengths;
	std::vector<MPI_Aint> s_displacements;
	std::vector<MPI_Datatype> s_datatypes;
	MPI_Datatype mpi_atom_type, mpi_atom_type_resized;

	struct atom a;
	MPI_Aint addr_start, addr;

	MPI_File f;
	MPI_Status stat;

	int global_N;
	char *datarep = (char *)"native";

	int type_size;

	/*
[...]

	MPI_File_open( MPI_COMM_SELF, fpath, MPI_MODE_RDONLY,
MPI_INFO_NULL, &f );

	MPI_File_read( f, &global_N, 1, MPI_INT, &stat );

	atoms.clear();
	atoms.resize( global_N );

	errcode = MPI_File_set_view( f, sizeof(int), mpi_atom_type_resized,
mpi_atom_type_resized, datarep, MPI_INFO_NULL );
	errcode = MPI_File_read( f, &atoms[0], global_N, mpi_atom_type_resized,
&stat );
	errcode = MPI_File_close( &f );

	MPI_Type_free( &mpi_atom_type );
	MPI_Type_free( &mpi_atom_type_resized );

	return;
}

Calling MPI_Type_get_extent() and MPI_Type_get_true_extent() for both
mpi_atom_type and mpi_atom_type_resized returns (0,32) bytes in all cases.
Calling MPI_Type_size() on both derived data types returns 28 bytes.

If I call MPI_File_get_type_extent() on both derived data types after opening the
file, they both resolve to 32 bytes - so I think the problem is in the difference
between the data representation in memory and on disk. If I explicitly use 32
bytes in the offset calculation in the write() routine above, it still doesn't work.

I'm finding it remarkably difficult to do something very simple using MPI's
derived data types and the parallel IO, and hence I'm guessing that I have
fundamentally misunderstood one or more aspects of this. If anyone can help
clarify where I'm going wrong, that would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

John.