[mpich-discuss] shell in emacs

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 19 09:06:26 CST 2012

On Nov 17, 2012, at 2:06 AM CST, Hui Zhang wrote:

> I M-x shell in emacs and compile, run the hell world.
> My shell is closed by mpi after running which I do not expect.

Just to rule out problems in your "Hello World" program, can you try the same thing with the "examples/cpi.c" program included in the MPICH distribution?

There's probably some strange interaction between the hydra mpiexec and emacs' shell.  If you were running on Linux, I would recommend running the mpiexec under "strace".  On your Mac you can try "dtruss", but it's a poor imitation of both "truss" and "strace", so that may or may not help us here.

I don't personally use emacs, but perhaps one of the other MPICH developers who uses emacs has a suggestion.

-Dave