[mpich-discuss] How to specify number of cores for each process

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:42:46 CST 2012

Did you try "mpiexec -n 16 ..."?

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2012, at 10:37 PM, Zachary Stanko <zstanko at usgs.gov> wrote:

Hello,

I am running an MPI program on a machine with two 16-core processors yet,
no matter what configuration I use with mpiexec, I am only receiving 4
simultaneous processes.
I would like to maximize this machine's potential and run 8 or 16
processes. I have tried all of the channel selections and tried the
-binding option.
Since I need to specify a different working directory for each process (due
to many output files with naming conflicts), I have a config file with 8
lines of the form:

-n 1 -binding auto -dir <mydir01> <myprog> <inpfile>
-n 1 -binding auto -dir <mydir02> <myprog> <inpfile>
...etc

and I run:

mpiexec -configfile <filename>

Am I doing something wrong, or does MPICH just know best and cannot run
more than 4 jobs at a time on this system?

Thanks,

Zak