[mpich-discuss] mpifort wrapper compiler?

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 08:28:18 CST 2013

> Will the following tradeoff be acceptable to everyone?
>
> * We allow users to specify a Fortran compiler using “FC” and “FCFLAGS”.  This will result in a wrapper called “mpifort”.
>
> * We’ll maintain mpif90 as a symbolic link to mpifort for backward compatibility.
>
> * If no separate F77 compiler is specified, we’ll use FC as the F77 compiler as well.  In this case, mpif77 will be a symbolic link to mpifort.
>
> * But users have the ability to provide a separate F77 compiler, in which case a new mpif77 is created.
>
> This way, we can still support compilers that have a different F77 compiler.  But for most compilers there’ll be a single mpifort (with mpif90 and mpif77 symbolic links for backward compatibility for some time).

Yes. This sounds great.

Is there any point to having --with-fortran take optional args {header,module,f08mod} to down-select from the default of 'all'? Can one skip the goofy Fortran ABI configure tests if only F08 is requested?

In theory, users could provide all diff Fortran lang compilers or diff flags to indicate language and get wrappers for them but I suppose it is equally valid to say that users/packagers are responsible for doing this by hand.

Jeff