[mpich-discuss] mpifort wrapper compiler?

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 12 08:02:06 CST 2013

Will the following tradeoff be acceptable to everyone?

 * We allow users to specify a Fortran compiler using “FC” and “FCFLAGS”.  This will result in a wrapper called “mpifort”.

 * We’ll maintain mpif90 as a symbolic link to mpifort for backward compatibility.

 * If no separate F77 compiler is specified, we’ll use FC as the F77 compiler as well.  In this case, mpif77 will be a symbolic link to mpifort.

 * But users have the ability to provide a separate F77 compiler, in which case a new mpif77 is created.

This way, we can still support compilers that have a different F77 compiler.  But for most compilers there’ll be a single mpifort (with mpif90 and mpif77 symbolic links for backward compatibility for some time).

  — Pavan

On Dec 12, 2013, at 7:48 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Rajeev Thakur <thakur at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>>> I agree that this is right for most cases, eg ifort, ftn and gfortran. I recall PGI has language-named variants.
>
> They also have pgifortran (my PGI license has expired, so I can't say what they do today).
>
>>> Not sure what you think should be done there. That is a case that actually matters to MPICH and OpenMPI builds from source by users (as opposed to IBM on BG).
>>
>> The Absoft compiler also has different names af77 and af90.
>

> Correct; it does not look like Absoft has consolidated down to a single Absoft executable.  FWIW: I just asked an Absoft employee -- he said:
>
> -----
> We have af77, af90, and af95. The af77 driver enables some legacy FORTRAN 77
> extensions but there is no difference between af90 and af95.
>
> Also, all three drivers define the following symbols if the C pre-processor
> is invoked by convention ( all cap file extensions .F .F90 .F95 .FOR) or
> by option ( -cpp ), -D__ABSOFT__  and  -D__ABSVER__=140
> -----
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres at cisco.com