[mpich-discuss] MPI RMA

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 8 13:16:48 CST 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Jim Dinan <dinan at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> However, it will work fine in MPICH.  In MPICH 3.0, I redesigned the
> synchronization error detection; as of 3.0, this is the only invalid RMA
> synchronization where we don't flag an error.  This is not so much because
> we choose to support this as an extension to RMA, but because the flush
> state needs to change collectively, making this difficult (not O(1)) to
> detect.

If this is really the only instance, it may not be worth it, but in
general, it's helpful to have a run-time (or even compile-time, if
necessary) option that does the strictest checking you're willing to
implement, even when it implies a performance hit. Certainly useful for
people trying to determine whether they have interpreted the standard
correctly, or when given someone else's code that is failing mysteriously.