[mpich-discuss] mpich 3.0.1 won't build shared libs without fortran?

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 3 13:13:50 CST 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 8:55 AM CST, Eric A. Borisch wrote:

> I am having difficulty getting mpich 3.0.1 to build shared libs when I'm not using fortran; it still runs checks (against false) for the fortran compilers (even though I am requesting --disable-fc --disable-f77) and associated tools and predictably fails those tests, needlessly disabling the "build shared libs" var.
>
> Any thoughts? I've put the config.log [1] up on pastebin rather than attaching the half-meg file. You can see things go south in lines 498-579.

I can reproduce this locally.  We were trying to be clever in [2], but it seems to have backfired into preventing shared linking in this case.  It looks like the right way to communicate this sort of thing to libtool is to set these variables to "no" instead.  I've committed a fix along these lines in [3].

Thanks for reporting this.

-Dave

[2] http://trac.mpich.org/projects/mpich/changeset/10622
[3] http://trac.mpich.org/projects/mpich/changeset/10820