[mpich-discuss] bug when used with valgrind

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 23 12:56:23 CST 2013

On Jan 23, 2013, at 12:22 PM CST, Evren Yurtesen IB wrote:

> It appears there are problems with mpich2 packages provided by ubuntu 12.04/12.10 etc. I think the problem is the compile time arguments they use when building them.
>
> I made a bug report to ubuntu launchpad but they suggested I should contact you also. Can somebody please have a look and comment on the bug report?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mpich2/+bug/1045326

Pavan Balaji, who commented 2012-09-03, represents "us" on this matter.

To me the problem just looks like a fundamental disagreement/incompatibility between BLCR and Valgrind (at least for certain versions of each package).  See this BLCR thread: https://hpcrdm.lbl.gov/pipermail/checkpoint/2011-September/000311.html

Based on what Paul said in that link and some cursory googling, it sounds like that issue was never upstreamed to the Valgrind folks.

I agree with you that the easiest way to resolve the Launchpad bug is to just omit the checkpointing arguments, although this has the downside of disabling this functionality.  A more involved fix would be to patch the BLCR library in the fashion mentioned in the lbl.gov link above.

> PS. I used to have an account 'yurtesen' in the bug reporting system, but it does not seem to function anymore, was it removed somehow? who can see that?

We were getting too much spam from self-registered trac accounts, so we deleted all of the non-ANL accounts in the system.  We (those with trac admin access) now have to create trac accounts by hand.  I have restored your account on trac.mpich.org.  You probably have received an email about this already.  I will email you your initial password off-list so that you can login and reset it.

-Dave