[mpich-discuss] Running an mpi program that needs to access /dev/mem

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Sun Jun 16 13:43:57 CDT 2013

I do not own a Rasberry Pi.  Is this thing self-hosted, hence you are
driving the Hydra download+build from a wimpy ARM core?  Or is your Pi
attached to a real computer?  In case it wasn't obvious from the shell
prompt ("Jeffs-MacBook-Pro:tmp jhammond"), I was timing on a Macbook
Pro, which happens to have a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core
processor.  When I time on the oldest processor to which I have access
(PPC970MP 2.5 GHz circa 2007), the whole process takes twice as long
(77 seconds).  In both cases, I built in /tmp, which on Linux is a
ramdisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs).

If building Hydra is a bottleneck because the Pi is too slow for basic
operations like download a file, unpack it and run gcc on its
contents, then you should go back to your very first statement ("I am
trying to use two raspberry-pi to sample and then process some data")
and consider whether or not what you're doing makes sense.  If a
computer can't compile very simple software like Hydra in a reasonable
amount of time, I fail to see how it can be used to process data
quickly.  While configure isn't necessarily a good model for data
analysis, I imagine that your time is best spent implementing and
running your data analysis on a computer with more substantial
processing power.

I guess I should also point out that you should be able to cross
compile Hydra if you have the appropriate cross-compiler toolchain,
hence you can download and build Hydra on an x86 laptop and then
merely copy the resulting binary over to your toy processor.

Best,

Jeff