[mpich-discuss] MPI_Comm_Spawn causing zombies of hydra_pmi_proxy

Silvan Brändli silvan.braendli at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 7 05:38:06 CST 2013

Dear all,

again I have a question related to spawning processes. I understand the
situation as follows:

My program A spawns program B. Program B spawns program C1, C2 ...
C10000 ...
Program Cx terminates correctly before Cx+1 is called, however returning
1 to mpiexec. To handle this I use the workaround as described in
http://lists.mpich.org/pipermail/discuss/2013-February/000429.html

Now it looks like with every Spawn a "hydra_pmi_proxy" is started, the
calling program is mpiexec. When the program Cx is finished this
"hydra_pmi_proxy" remains as a zombie until the programs A, B and
mpiexec are finished. When approx. 32k of those "hydra_pmi_proxy" exist
I get some problems (too many processes or something similar).

What can I do to finish "hydra_pmi_proxy" while my programs A, B and
mpiexec are still running?

I'm glad about every hint.

Best regards
Silvan

--
Dipl.-Ing. Silvan Brändli
Numerische Strukturanalyse mit Anwendungen in der Schiffstechnik (M-10)

Technische Universität Hamburg-Harburg
Schwarzenbergstraße 95c
21073 Hamburg

Tel.  : +49 (0)40 42878 - 6187
Fax.  : +49 (0)40 42878 - 6090
e-mail: silvan.braendli at tuhh.de
www   : http://www.tuhh.de/skf

5th GACM Colloquium on Computational Mechanics
http://www.tu-harburg.de/gacm2013