[mpich-discuss] MPI_set_view, for offset larger than an integer

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Wed Mar 13 10:57:19 CDT 2013

The MPI standard, which is the only official documentation about the
function syntax of MPI_File_set_view, says this:

int MPI_File_set_view(MPI_File fh, MPI_Offset disp, MPI_Datatype etype,
             MPI_Datatype filetype, const char *datarep, MPI_Info info)

The size of the disp type is specified as follows:

13.6.7 MPI_Offset Type

MPI_Offset is an integer type of size sufficient to represent the size
(in bytes) of the largest file supported by MPI. Displacements and
offsets are always specified as values of type MPI_Offset.

Thus, it should not be possible to overflow this value if you're
accessing the file in a correct way.

Jeff