[mpich-discuss] mpiexec.hydra creates unexpectable TCP socket.

Anatoly G anatolyrishon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 05:00:00 CST 2014

Dear MPICH.
I'm using mpich 3.1 (hydra+MPI).
I execute main application (Main) which calls mpiexec.hydra in following
way:

mpiexec.hydra -genvall  -disable-auto-cleanup  -f MpiConfigMachines.txt
-launcher=ssh -n 3 MPI_Prog

MpiConfigMachines.txt content:
10.3.2.100:1
10.3.2.101:2

Where 10.3.2.100 is a local host.
As result I get

   - Main + single MPI_Prog processes on local computer
   - 2 MPI_Prog processes on remote one.

Main application establish TCP socket with local MPI_Prog.
Main application establish TCP socket with controller on other computer
10.3.2.170, which is not included in MpiConfigMachines.txt file.

After executing some time (hours, sometimes days) I see via netstat that
created new connection from mpiexec.hydra and controller.

Before executing mpiexec.hydra I set environment variable

setenv MPIEXEC_PORT_RANGE 50010:65535

According to manual this variable limits hydra destination ports to
[50010:65535].

I see that hydra uses these ports with MPI_Prog, but connection with
controller done on port 701 (controller computer).

Controller program is a server. It can accept connections only.

Can you please advice how to stand with this problem?

How hydra recognizes controller IP and establish connection with it?

Sincerely,

Anatoly.